$BlogRSDUrl$>
|
Buyer's Remorse
|
|
Free Hit Counter |
First Project: Flood Prevention Measures
[5:32 PM]
Finding 3" of water in your basement is never a good thing. This did happen to me. Luckily it still wasn't my house yet. As I inspected the plumbing afterwards, I found that there was no shutoff valve to the outside faucets. Aha! My first project! And a relatively easy one at that. Went down to the hardware store, bought a pipe wrench, teflon tape, a shutoff valve, a pipe cutter, and some other odds and ends. Ended up running about $30 all in all. Installing it was rather fun. All I had to do was just... * Shut off the water to the entire house * Cut the pipe apart, ensuring that I could not possibly use my water until I completed this project. Removing 1/2" of pipe proved sufficient for the valve I bought. * Splice in the valve via the compression fittings. * Teflon tape the hell out of it just in case. * Tighten everything up using enough torque to almost break said pipes. And viola! One shutoff valve installed. Yes, I know. Pictures will come later when I find the link cable for my digital camera. Got something to say? |